UCS was founded with the vision of intellectual curiosity, breadth of study and independence of mind. This vision is as integral to the School today as it was in 1830. From its first days, philanthropy has played a large part in the shaping of the School, not only in the creation of its buildings, but also in the support it is able to provide through bursaries and scholarships.
The first scholarship pupils were admitted in 1899 supported by a fund established by Old Gowers in memory of their late headmaster. Soon after this the school was relocated to Frognal from Gower Street, a move made possible by the UCS community raising over £6 million and forming a Corporation, a body of loyal supporters to the School. One of the most visible signs of support from this time is the panelling of the Great Hall, given by Sir Edwin Durning-Lawrence, whose name it bears, along with his gift of the equivalent of £500,000. Ten years ago, The Centenary Appeal raised over £2 million in support of bursaries, the Bentham Building, UCS Active and the admittance of girls into the Sixth Form.
Today, we continue to move forward, with a vision and ambition no less bold than that of our founders. Development is core to this vision for UCS' future. Our aims are simple: preserve and develop our buildings and facilities so that ALL pupils and our local community benefit from them; contribute significantly to our bursary programme to encourage children of intellect, character and ability to apply to UCS regardless of family circumstances. Any support given, at any level, will help realise this vision in providing leading facilities for young people to study, to influence the world around them and to have the freedom from financial constraints.
Visit our giving page to support UCS, or for more information please contact us on 020 7433 2310 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.